Java News from Thursday, September 2, 2004

Sun's posted a release candidate of Java 1.5, a.k.a Java 5, a.k.a Java 2 Standard Edition 5.0 Java Development Kit, a.k.a Java 2004 SuperSized Edition 50.0 Release Candidate For Developers Lord Only Knows What This Will Be Called Next Week 50.0. They claim more than 99% of their tests are passing, and they think fixing the remaining < 1% of test failures is too risky. The tentative release data is September 30th.

The Apache Jakarta Project has released Commons Validator 1.1.3, an extensible framework for defining validation methods. Although it uses XML to define the validation rules, this component is intended for general data validation, not specifically or even primarily XML validation. It is published under the Apache 2.0 license.

Stefan Reich has posted beta 9 of SuperVersion 1.0, a single user version control system suitable for small projects, as opposed to multiuser, server-based systems like CVS and subversion. Beta 9 adds new CVS-compatible keywords ($RCSfile, $Source, and $Date) and recognizes UTF-8 files as text. Superversion is published under the GPL.

Ben Litchfield has posted PDFBox 0.6.6, an open source (BSD license) Java library for manipulating PDF documents and extracting contents from existing PDF documents.