The Java Developer's Resource
Developer's Resource is a comprehensive introduction to Java for
programmers. It covers the Java language from the ground up as well
as the AWT including threads, layout managers, exceptions, event
handling, data structures, input and output, and a lot more. I
started writing this book when there weren't any good books on Java.
In many ways this is the book I wish had been available
when I was trying to learn Java.
The JDR was originally published by Prentice Hall and covered Java 1.0.
It is now out of print, though copies of the first edition
are fairly easily available through standard used book channels.
I am now updating the book to cover Java 2 and posting updated chapters here as
time permits. What follows is a very rough outline of where I think the book will
go. However, much work remains to be done, and
I will almost certainly wander off this path before I'm through.
Please feel free to use this as you like for your education and entertainment.
If you want to save or print out a local copy for your own private use, please do so.
However, under no circumstances may you sell it, copy it to a different web site, distribute it
on a CD, or otherwise republish it. Instead, please direct people to this site instead so
they can get their own copies.
- Part One:Getting Started with Java
Chapter 1 Why Java's Hot
Chapter 2 Installing Java
Chapter 3 Hello World: The Application
- Chapter 4 Numbers and Arithmetic
- Chapter 5 Variables
- Chapter 6 Booleans and Flow Control
- Chapter 7 Classes
- Chapter 8 Arrays
- Chapter 9 Inheritance
- Chapter 10 Polymorphism
- Chapter 11 Packages
- Chapter 12 The Java Class Library
- Chapter 13 Exceptions
- Chapter 14 Data Structures
- Chapter 15 The Java Collections API
- Part Two:Applets and the AWT
- Chapter 16 Writing Your First Applet
- Chapter 17 Drawing Pictures
- Chapter 18 Components
- Chapter 19 LayoutManagers
- Chapter 20 Windows, Frames, Dialogs, and Menus
- Part Three:Advanced Language Features
- Chapter 21 Threads
- Chapter 22 Streams and Files
- Chapter 23 Java Network Programming
- Chapter 24 Javadoc
Copyright 1995-1997, 2000 Elliotte Rusty Harold
Last Modified June 7, 2000